Monday, May 19, 2008

Hi, my name is Gig and I'm a Luddite

Today goofing around with Micq at Barnes and Noble, we ran into an old friend of hers. His name is Gig. For real. Well, I didn't ask really, I assumed that it was his real name, it could be a nick name, but still, he's called Gig.

So, introductions are made, idle chat ensues. And, somewhere in all that he professes to be a Luddite. I think it started cause i lost the back of my blackberry at some nightclub in Vegas, so my battery is being held inside the device with a rubber band.

Anyway, this is unfathomable. How can someone named Gig be a Luddite.

So, we decided that Gig needs to start a 12-step-type program to help tech-addicts eliminate technology from their lives. What would the steps be?

So far, we came up with:

Rule One of Luddite Club: Don't talk about Luddite Club

Rule two: When you must get words to paper, say: "Take Dictation." This requires that you have an entourage that would actually do this for you. See Rushmore for how it's properly done.

That's about as far as we got cause we couldn't decide how far back in time we would go. Can I have TV? can I rent Rushmore? doIi at least get a pager?

I can tell you one thing. Once they ruled out iPods and HBO, i started to get the shakes.

2 comments:

Greg Christensen said...

Amie? I was going through some old comments on my Makin’ Ads blog and saw one from you, which led me to The Din, which featured a post on old Gregory photos which made me realize it was you which made me think it’s a pretty small world.

What have you been up to? I live in Chicago with my wife and three kids. We’re moving to Geneva, Switzerland next month. It’s a 2-year contract with the same company.

I met your sister-in-law about a year ago. It was at one of my mom’s parties. I know Teresa lives next door in Iowa, but we’ve never bumped into her.

Drop me a line at happygrc@mac.com when you get a chance.

Tonia Conger said...

Dood. I cannot imagine. I suppose Luddite Club to be a lot like Girl Scouts. Learning to build fires, cooking meat on a stick over said fire, blowing up the air mattress by mouth. Sounds exhausting.