Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Can I have a little Sugar with my Ray Leonard?

Growing up LDS, there was a lot of oration on the importance of avoiding canoodling with the opposite sex. It undoubtedly leads to sex before marriage. The Church, as well as most adolescent-oriented, sex-abstinence teaching material, used petting as the preferred moniker for this kind of activity. For some reason, it was always qualified with the same adjectives used to describe syrup in canned peaches.

"Avoid HEAVY petting." (it's even a movie!!!)
"Avoid LIGHT petting." (a perplexing, but probably common scenario for goody-goodies)

Today, 15 years removed. The familiar monikers long forgotten. My friends and I reminisced the old lectures. I instantly visualized entangled boxers fighting the good fight, tired, nearly ready to surrender and I thought: hey! where do we stand on MIDDLEweight petting?

i thought it was funny, and a good loophole for those that live by the letter instead of the spirit of the law.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go organic--bottle peaches in their own juices. Avoid all those artificial preservatives. Same with petting. I never saw a film strip converted to video that ever said anything against all-natural, organic petting!