Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Dumbo Idioms


I always get idioms wrong. I should acknowledge that this will never change and stop trying to use them. The problem is I get an image in my head that matches the WRONG way to use the idiom. Images are more powerful than words, so the wrong way sticks.

For example, the idiom for the hangover cure "the hair of the dog that bit you" registered incorrectly as "the hare that bit the dog." I saw white bunnies with sharp pointy teeth like the scene in Monty Python's Holy Grail. Those rabbits ARE a vivid representation of a horrific hangover.

The other day, I did it again. I don't know if this is exactly what i said. A friend and I were discussing why we make every minuscule task seem like a major endeavor, thus rendering us incapable of action. I said something like, "you can't eat the elephant by staring at the fork."

Not what i meant. But then I remembered this Disney clip when Dumbo gets drunkitty-unkitty. It is probably one of the most creative cartoons I've ever seen. So clever!

I bet the cartoonist that did this made a bunch of false starts, procrastinated, struggled and stared at blank paper and pen for a long time before he/she ever even came up with the ideas that make this cartoon so great.

I hope so. For the sake of my sanity. Otherwise, this new take on the ole "eating an elephant" idiom is useless. I'll have to figure out another reason for why I procrastinate.



via videosift.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's kinda like the whole, "how many babies can you fit in the tire thing", you know, that old joke...