Wednesday, December 19, 2007

If we had macaroni, we could have macaroni and cheese, if we had cheese.

My friend sent this quote by Jack Handy to me today:

'Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink I feel shame. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this wine, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'

There are two reasons he probably sent this to me:

1. Every story I think is funny enough to share starts with, "One time, when I was really drunk..."
2. Every Monday morning meeting consists of me proclaiming I will never eat, or drink again as I shamefully confess the hideous details of my hedonistic weekend.

Enough shame I say! Thanks Jack Handy, because not only am I going to keep vineyard workers gainfully employed, but also the purveyors of pasta and cheese.

Why? Because this weekend I realized something great! From mighty hangovers come fantastic recipes you can make from the products that already exist in your pantry. Thus saving a needless trip to the store, which saves you from having to get dressed, or comb your hair, brush your teeth, etc.

This recipe is something I tweaked from the bible of all cook books: The Joy of Cooking.

Amie’s Mac and Cheese Cure - sort of, more like: so you can feel a little better

1 cube of butter
1 onion
2 tablespoons of flour
2 cups of milk (even if it’s sour, it’s OK, all the better cause it will add a nice sour flavor to the mac and cheese)
3 cups of whatever cheese you have in the fridge (any cheddar variety, sharp is preferred, mozzarella, parmesan, provolone, gouda, Velveeta - whatever! Mix them all together if you want)
Two packages of a pasta (spaghetti, macaroni, penne, bowties, whatever, mix them all together if you want)
Salt and Pepper

Boil water, cook pasta, set aside.
Melt butter in the same pot the pasta was cooked in. Add chopped onion. Cook until sorta brown. Stir in flour. Slowly stir in milk until mixture thickens. Keep stirring (don’t get sick watching the spoon go round and round). Slowly add cheese bit by bit until think and creamy. Depending on your cheese selection, you’ll get varying degrees of thickness. Keep stirring, keep stirring, keep stirring. Then add salt and pepper. Add pasta and stir together. Taste to assure it’s salted enough (depending on how low you are on electrolytes, this will vary).

Eat. This batch is pretty big, so you will be able to eat this all day.

1 comment:

Tonia Conger said...

This recipe would go equally well after enduring the first day of a bentonite clay cleanse.