Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tree art - part one


I scanned a painting BSJ did of a tree. The original image is in vivid color, but I find it interesting how my inability to use our snappy new scanner/copier at work made a completely different image from the original.

It just goes to show that art does not emerge from a vacuum. Creativity isn't synonymous with unique. Art comes from one's ability to make interesting combinations.

This is reassuring because there is a lot of pressure for humans to be unique in all the world. We must come up with original ideas to identify ourselves, otherwise we won't stand out, or shine.

True creativity is how clever you are at observing and combining everything around you into something interesting.

For this reason, I am trying to get out of my head more often to have a looksie at what's around. You'd be surprised at the amount of material out there for creating fantastic art.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I went to a writing class once in which the instructor said, "You will never be able to write about a new subject because there are already books on every subject under the sun. But what you do bring is your perspective. No one has ever read a book about (insert topic here) from your point of view."

On a completely different, yet somewhat related note, I just started reading "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" by David Foster Wallace. Have you ever read anything by him? This is my first of his and already I can tell it's going to be mind bending even though it's covering really basic topics. I love the art of writing.

I'm glad you're blogging again. I miss YOUR unique (and refreshing) perspective.

Anonymous said...

You are a pleasure to know Amie! I am never "bored" chatting with you, I love your creative wit and humor.

"I realize that humor isn't for everyone. It's only for people who want to have fun, enjoy life, and feel alive."
Anne Wilson Schaef